Is Brave going too far with ad-blocks?

If you are in the world of Bitcoin, you might have heard of Brave before (the browser that literally is a giant ad-block). One thing that is interesting is that they actually replace the ads on a website with their own ads. This allows them to generate ad-revenue which is redistributed to publishers and visitors.  But has it gone too far and decreased ad-revenue for publishers? Let’s just see about that!

According to Business Insider, around 17 news outlets including the New York Times and Dow Jones signed a letter to Brave telling them to restructure their project to not interfere with their adverts. I believe that they fear the same thing as me, lower ad-revenue. Brave has its own ad-network that is different than media outlets. Most use Google Ads or their own ads and charge a certain amount for ad spaces. However, Brave is different and spans across the internet. This could mean that ad-revenue is decreased which could threaten the survival of many news outlets who rely on ads to stay profitable or stay afloat.

Brave said that 55% of all ad-revenue would go to the publisher, that means that the other 45% does not go into the publisher’s pocket which they find is scary. Personally, I have ad-slots to keep my website afloat and not for profit but somehow, Brave can either save or destroy my little blog with their ad-blockers. What if they don’t give enough ad-revenue profit to me and we run into the ground? 55% of how much? How much do they charge for ad-space? These are all questions that media outlets are probably wondering about when the name “Brave” pops up.

You can always go the Wall Street Journal with subscriptions or you can always try the paywall way because some people actually would rather pay a small fee than to see ads.

To be honest, I too, am a little nervous about Brave but we shall see when it releases the micropayments release.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*